PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS long haul EBA
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2018, 01:05
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FightDeck
Good point Rated D.

This was mentioned on Qrewroom. An AIPA executive with legal qualifications(but no substantial legal practice) was quick to dismiss them as being legally unenforceable. But then so was a former AIPA president who jumped ship and became Deputy Chief pilot.

Someone did make valid comment that despite it potentially having no legal enforcement it would make a moral and ethical statement formal leaving no doubt given the history that has not served AIPA well.
In fact many governments and corporations have non complete periods.

“You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide” seems appropriate

I think the point was how do you draft a non-compete that is enforceable if the person is already working for Qantas? Regarding the proposal that having someone sign something that only has a moral obligation as a way of preventing unethical and ambitious people from jumping ship, I think that is ludicrous. That type of person will just sign and do what they were going to do anyway, knowing it is unenforceable. The best defence is having a robust committee do their job to ensure they elect people who are suitably qualified and have the pilots' best interests at heart.

It is interesting that there all this attention about an ex-president that has moved to a management position after not being on Committee for several years, yet nobody has mentioned the person who went straight from being an EBA negotiator to an office position in networks without any intervening time away from AIPA.

Knobby. I find it interesting that you complain about AIPA not having professionals handling negotiations and other matters, yet when we elect a President that does have skills and qualifications, you misinterpret this as being a reflection of their ambition to use AIPA as some kind of stepping stone to a company position? The fact is we need to attract and retain talented people to fill these rolls in AIPA. Throwing rocks and making completely baseless and incorrect allegations about someone's motives is not the way to do this.

Last edited by theheadmaster; 21st Dec 2018 at 01:37.