PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Network A320
Thread: Network A320
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2018, 12:43
Transition Layer

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamer84
What would your proposition be? Bid for work prior to implementing the type, or maybe build the capability pre tender? From where I sit it would make good sense to integrate a new type well before new opportunities become available? And what new FMG airport are you referring to out of interest - additional to the existing other 2 down the road? And I assume you're aware of a few other miners in the region other than Roy Hill and FMG?
Not too many aerodrome operators (mining companies) are going to invest in an additional 500m of pavement and related infrastructure beyond their existing 2000m or so when they don't have to. Almost all recent aerodrome upgrades in the vicinity involve nil extra length with some additional PCN. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. But maybe I'm only dreaming
The spin from the company to Mainline Pilots was that the resource companies were “demanding” the 320 for the contract work. A whopping extra 6 seats over a B738. That demand hasn’t really eventuated yet and the RPT stuff has been the backbone of the A320 operation from what I can see. The further spin about lowering Broome airfares for locals was proof that the A320 wasn’t as well received in the Pilbara as they’d hoped and had to find somewhere to send the jets. The B738 is an incredibly reliable machine and the general feeling is that the Big 3 (FMG/Rio/BHP) have long memories from the sh1t heap 320 that Skywest used to run around up there breaking down all the time. Roy Hill likewise - apparently they don’t want anything to do with Network because of the unreliability of the F100s. Gina isn’t one of the richest women in the world by accident.

The new FMG strip is not common knowledge yet but will service the Eliwana operation and will be 2500m according to the guys at Solomon. Here’s some reading for you - https://thewest.com.au/business/mini...-ng-b88848638z

Keep dreaming but be careful it’s not a wet one. Shiny jet syndrome will wear off soon and you’ll wake up with sticky sheets and realise you’re the lowest paid 320 pilots getting around during the time of a shortage