PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid
Old 19th Dec 2018, 07:39
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nord121
Hello all,

I’ve been following this thread for a while now and am just about to complete my PPL under Austro Control. issuing me an Austrian PPL.

My intention is to move straight onto ATPL’s and it seems the sensible thing to do is do them with an EASA member state, BBS are offering this from the UK however my main choice is probably Bartolini air... regardless is this a good idea for the following reson? If I get my ATPL from an EASA country and then after Brexit do not have the right to live or work in that country (British National). Would that not mean the EASA ATPL’s have been for nothing? On the other hand assuming you gain employment with an airline in the EU you can then live there.

Then what if I wanted to fly in the UK again has it been announced if it’s possible to transfer EASA to CAA?

I plead ignorance but there’s a lot to take in here and I’m trying to make the most informed decision I possible can. If you were to begin your ATPL exams next year where would you go?

Cheers in advance.
If you do not already reside in an EU country by the time the UK leaves (either at the end of the transition period or next march) you won't have the right to live and work in the EU. Come to think of it, in the case of an unorderly brexit you won't have the right anyway. However, a caveat that many miss, even if you have the right to live and work in an EU country, you do not have the right to live and work in any other EU country, only in the one where you have residency as you are a third country citizen, pretty much the same as any refugee that got granted to reside. Unless the UK changes their stance on freedom of movement of course. Which will get messy with the orange outfit as their UK national pilots cannot move from one countries anymore, same for the irish one i guess.

As far as i know the UK CAA will accept EASA licenses to transfer them into UK ones, but who knows how that will change?