PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2018, 23:41
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
FD, I'll take it that you make your point seriously and it's not a sardonic attempt at humour. The defendant was convicted of negligence for which he had pleaded guilty, rightly in my view and I suspect most here would agree, though the CM Sentence is perhaps another matter. His camera was a loose article and it should have been stowed when not being used, presumably in his Flight Bag for which I again presume there is a stowage space in the Voyager, given its A330 equivalent. It was his negligence in not having safely stowed it that hazarded his aircraft and all aboard. In the scenario that you describe the camera would also be unstowed and also a potential loose article.

On 29.11.95 The Director of Flight Safety notified the Chief Engineer and ACAS of problems relating to camera stowage, and how to manage this hazard. It would seem his recommendations were ignored, forgotten, or not read across to all aircraft. So can it be said that the Regulatory Authority had a grip on matters?

Oh it wasn't serious? Well it bloody well should have been! We could easily be looking at the worst UK Military Fatal Air Accident thread yet!

ShotOne, your habit of misquoting me has one slight flaw, people can go back to the post you ostensibly quote only to find you have (again!) misquoted. To save them the trouble I quote you and myself (again!) :-

You,
Bizarrely, Chugalug bets us a pound to a penny this has happened many times before. Seriously? ..and the passengers and crew all chose to keep quiet about their roller-coaster rides?
Me,
Well it occurred to one person that we know of and, given the squillions of flight hours the design has been exposed to claimed by ShotOne, it's a pound to a penny that it's occurred to others as well.
In which by occurred I mean using the side stick shelf as a...well, shelf! I didn't say that it has led to the same result as in this case, now did I? I merely suggest that it could have done, that this is a swiss cheese hole that needs plugging, and that marking the shelf in such a way as to positively discourage putting anything on it might well accomplish that..

I don't know what your problem is. Mine is that the hue and cry for this defendant rather obscures the eternal lesson of all aircraft accidents, that it can happen again unless mitigating action is taken to render that less likely.