PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bundeswehr orders H145 LUH SAR
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2018, 00:04
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
The Sikorsky H-19, upon which the Whirlwind was modeled, I got acquainted with in Sunny Southern Alabama during the summer one year....was grossly overpowered with its 600 she Pratt and Whitney R1340 Radial engine.

As we dashed off down the takeoff lane to the south....with the steep downward sloping ground at the end of the pavement....the acceleration would pin your ears back right till the front landing gears began to shimmy against the bungee cords....at which time you were done accelerating but usually could not stop before going over the precipice.

She made good pilots out of you as to learning how to nurse Rotor RPM.

I cannot recall even thinking of winching with them.

Winching?! Try the Sproule net

Getting back on topic, crab@ does seem to wish for the days of the Sea King cabin, big door, plenty of headroom, coffee maker, etc. Unfortunately the call for such as the H145 is to meet a different tasking group and I've no doubt that this variant will meet the needs of the Bundeswehr. Lateral GG, payload, etc are more than adequate for their tasking: even the lowly old BK117, grandad of the 145, had way more lateral CG than was expected. Having the winch on the left also helps offset the lateral, although many Australian operators opted for a right hand winch fit (after market) and one requirement of the fit was/is to move the battery from the nose to behind the left engine.
Attached Images