PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia building up its forces in the Crimea
Old 11th Dec 2018, 11:45
Just This Once...

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by racedo
If Northern Ireland sought to join Republic of Ireland then you are saying it is NOT self determination because they didn't want to exist as a separate state ?

If another referendum under full United Nations occurred would you then agree with the result.
If the Republic of Ireland invaded Northern Ireland, capturing the port of Belfast and Aldergrove airport, with troops and armour that that had removed all insignia, whilst claiming they were nothing to do with their armed forces, defying the UN and then holding a 'free' referendum the following month in the occupied territory - then no, it would not be an act of self-determination. Indeed I would expect sanctions from the UN and other international communities - sound familiar?

If the Republic of Ireland then became embroiled in a conflict in west Wales, including shooting down an airliner over Shropshire I think we would have further reason for concern. Of course, if the Republic of Ireland had also invaded somewhere like Denmark (Georgia), used radioactive material and chemical weapons to kill people in sovereign states then I think we would treat Ireland with the same level of disgust as we currently reserve for Russia.

Of course, Ireland is a decent and functioning liberal democracy; far removed from the intolerable regime you support.