PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2018, 07:34
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
intbh:-
The fact is that the ‘shelf’ extends for probably less than 10 cm behind the stick, and I suspect it would never occur to most people to even try to place anything like a camera on it.
Well it occurred to one person that we know of and, given the squillions of flight hours the design has been exposed to claimed by ShotOne, it's a pound to a penny that it's occurred to others as well. With the 10cm pinch point that you claim is practically unchangeable then education is an obvious starting point, I agree.

I would also back that up by a visual reminder that the sidestick shelf is a no-no area to place absolutely anything on. The international conventionally recognised way of indicating that is by black and yellow hachured markings. Whether Airbus would be prepared to issue such a recommendation to all A330 and A320 family operators and thus draw attention to this Achilles heel in its design is a matter of conjecture, but the UK regulators (ie CAA and MAA) should certainly consider it, don't you agree?

Ah, just been pipped at the post by Beagle, with whom I find I am in violent agreement.