PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2018, 00:40
itsnotthatbloodyhard

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2

I remain convinced that this issue has been considered and mitigation sought, if not by the RAF then by others. I said previously that I would be greatly surprised if that were not case, only to have a response from itsnotthatbloodyhard:-
I’m sorry you didn’t like my response, but if you can produce any evidence of a mitigating redesign, I’ll be fascinated to see it. I think your idea of a touchpad-activated cutout is actually a good one and should arguably have been part of the original design - but to incorporate it now on a worldwide fleet of many thousands of aircraft is far from the ‘doddle’ you suggest.

You previously claimed to “know nothing about different airbus flight decks, let alone the armrest, shelf, control stick interface”, and this is evident in suggestions like ‘restricting the depth to which the armrest can be lowered.’ (FWIW, with the armrest assembly in my preferred position, there’s about 10mm clearance between it and the horizontal surface below. Any significant depth restriction would render the entire arrangement unusable.) The fact is that the ‘shelf’ extends for probably less than 10 cm behind the stick, and I suspect it would never occur to most people to even try to place anything like a camera on it. While a touchpad-activated cutout might be nice, I think the practical solution here is going to involve education (and common sense).