PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warship - An appropriate response
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2018, 13:20
PeterGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darvan

Back in the 80s, a Bucc 6-ship would release a salvo of 24 Sea Eagle sea skimming missiles from 2 axes at a range of 60 nm. They would release the salvo from a height of 100 ft, well below the radar horizon at 60 nm. The Buccs would then continue to close on the fleet at 100 ft so as to provide invaluable anti-ship missile defence training for the AAW team. At every single JMC debrief I attended, the AWO would claim 6 kills on Buccaneers. It was never really comprehended that, in all probability, they had already been hit by up to 24 Sea Eagles and that the presence of Buccaneers in their sights was artificial and staged. Nevertheless, ‘If it flys it dies’ was always their motto. They were always supremely confident but I don’t think they ever quite ‘got it’.
As I say, I suspect they have a lot more reason to confident than the guys you were up against. Only in the 80s did naval radar / missile technology start to make progress, and since then it has advanced significantly . A sea slug . sea cat, 965, 993 set up woud be luckly to see one missile in time. However, sea wolf & sea dart started to improve things, but with limited ability against your 24 missiles. However, since then radar, automation and trackerless missiles, much better ECM changes things a lot. These ships are designed for a swarm attack. That said, there is only 48 shots (no reloads at sea) per ship, plus though soft klll and phalynx, (All publically available information)