PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cabin safety for babies
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2003, 18:34
ShesGreatintheGalley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am a flight attendant in australia and our company regulations state that all lap infants be restrained by an infant seatbelt, which is attached to the parents seatbelt. (i dont even know if it is our CASA law, just our company policy.
Parents also have the option to purchase a seat and provide their own approved car seat but it rarely happens - either for lack of knowledge or not wanting to pay the extra ... the latter i think.

I am agreeing with all who have said it should be made a law. No matter how much you love your child, there is little chance of holding on to it in a crash.. infant seatbelts wil probably protect somewhat against clear air turbulence (if they are nice and tight which they rarely are) and some sudden breaking/minor crash but also, i can see infants flying out of those in an accident too.

The absolute ideal situation is where the airline provides approved car seats at a minimal charge (or free) for the infant.
And they should make it law worldwide to have ALL pax regardless of age or size to occupy a seat.. if they are infants they must use the provided car seat (or bring their own), having infants sit on laps should be banned.

Car seats are proven to be much safer than lap belts, the child is literally harnessed in like the crew, i think the child would have a higher survival rate than the parents in some situations.
The child seats are usually fitted on a window seat, so as not to hinder an evacuation, and the only other requirements i can think of is that they are not fitted in an exit row.

If you fly on an airline and you cant bring your car seat or the airline wont provide one (either dont fly with them!) or wear a papoose thing that is strapped to your body, with the baby inside. some designs have shoulder straps for the baby that prevent it from flying up and out.

That is the only thing that annoys me about my job, seeing infants not secured safetly enough. there are stricter laws about stowing your carry on baggage for goodness sake! If i was ever put in a position of power,that is one of the issues i would address and make mandatory. Busses are another thing but that is a different story also....

Last edited by ShesGreatintheGalley; 18th Oct 2003 at 18:45.