PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH558 - not good news?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2003, 17:06
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the reservations many have in the supply of crew members to display the ac. But remember, it is not just the pilot who is vital to the safe operation of the ac: the AEO is just as important. Indeed, it could be argued that he is more vital - the ac lives on it's electrical system; it is capable of fully automatic safe operation with a multitude of safety locks and well thought out procedures and setups. However, as with any old, complex aircraft odd faults occur from time to time that have never occured before, and it is for the AEO to think through, discuss the implications and make the system safe. It happened increasingly as the ac aged. The OCU had a simple but brilliant AEO emergencies trainer and AEOs used to spend many hours sorting out peculiar staff-induced faults. It also happened with other ac systems, especially the hot air distribution around the airframe.

Pilot currency is not such a problem. DT is an exceptional pilot and QFI, and the ac is not difficult to fly through the display sequence, safe if the speed/height gates are meticulously observed and the correct techniques used in airframe and engine handling. It would not take much to train an experienced heavy jet pilot to fly the ac and to carry out a display. Besides, the CAA have been involved in the project from an early stage - they are likely to be on-side.

Finances, I believe, will be the killer. Unless a sponsor with a very large piggy bank can be found, who will heavily subsidise the operation, I believe the charges that have to be made to display organisers would put the ac out of their reach. At the sort of weights that it would be operating a fuel burn of 1000-1200 gals per hour would be expected, with a display burning a further 300-400 gals. That's a lot of money, and then there are all the other costs on top of that. I couldn't even begin to figure the cost per hour of this venture, although I suspect that DW, as a businessman, has worked it all out in his business plan.

I would love to see the old girl in her rightful medium - airborne - and although I have a number of reservations as to the viability of the scheme, I would urge everybody to stay positive towards getting her airborne.

There are no problems here - only solutions...