PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So if it’s so bad....why aren’t you all quitting?
Old 4th Dec 2018, 22:14
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by morningcoffee

77 hrs a month the 320 fleet is averaging and it’s a 50 minute sector AKL WLG. Slightly longer to CHC. I’ve seen the roster and it ain’t pretty.
You think it’s one return WLG and then 4 days off? Post a 320 roster then.....Air NZ can work you like a dog because you can’t complain, it’s the only gig in town.

Training pay for the first 6 months when you join is $20k a year, bwahahaha and guys line up to take it.
Originally Posted by morningcoffee
I couldn’t care who’s going, I’m just saying that they can pay whatever they want, roster you whatever they want and guys will sign up. You can go on about a sh*t deal at CX but the fact is aviation is a sh*t deal everywhere.
Best part is you think $40K a year under training is a great deal, and it only last 2 months. Ground school, sims, line training, checks in 2 months? It used to be no pay during training and still guys signed up. End of the day guys will join the Koru irrespective of Air NZ’s lousy pay and roster. Nothing CX can do to change that.
Training Pay is currently $56k and 2 months in accurate.
You're only on training pay during your initial induction and Type Rating. Line training is on Full Pay.
My highest sector count in the last 3 years on the A320 was 45. Mostly Domestic and was 75hrs.... believe it or not, we don't only fly to WLG and CHC.
Have had a few rosters in the low 80's but they had a lot more Tasman/Pacific sectors. Averaging about 65hrs at the moment.
The rosters get better with Seniority as your bidding power improves. Even a Junior Pilot who understands the system can bid to avoid certain characteristics with moderate success. Just don't waste your points on desirable specific TOD's you know you wont get.

All Shorthual jobs you work like a dog. That's the nature of shorthaul. You need more sectors for the same hours. For many, the Airbus might just be a foot in the door before bidding to a Widebody. I doubt anyone leaving the likes of Cx to join the bottom of our list are expecting a payrise.

We've all got friends everywhere.... I've got friends at Cx, I've seen their rosters. Yes, in many ways they're better than mine with Air NZ on the A320, but as they say "At least you're not living in HKG".... on a Widebody, I could live in Wanaka if wanted. Plenty do.