PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 09:42
Just This Once...

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by alfred_the_great
...if the pilot had decided that taking a camera into the cockpit, and subsequently stowing it in an unauthorised stowage was a jolly good wheeze.

Just to keep the facts in perspective but in no way to argue the case in either direction, this flightdeck was awash with unstowed equipment that had no designated storage. Regrettably this was the case across all RAF ME aircraft and reported on numerous flight safety and accident reports on other aircraft types. This included heavy items such as weapons, ammunition, route bags, NBC equipment, body armour, helmets etc.

Whilst the recommendations to retrofit flightdecks with suitable storage were numerous, compelling and included a number of serious injuries to aircrew, the money did not follow. It should also be noted that crews were also routinely issued with cameras similar to the one used on this flight. They too had no stowage provision or warnings as to where they could or could not be placed. RAF ME crews were just supposed to get on with it but as ever, risks held higher up only ever flow down with gravity.

Again, this is just to add clarity to the debate. I am not an apologist for anyone.