PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waterbombing B737
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 03:18
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On another note. Given the obvious effects of climate change on the Australian and North American weather it seems to me that large fire bombers will have to remain in the US/Canada for most of the year. That means that Australia will have to source our aircraft locally.
There seems to be some confusion as to the status of the Coulson B737. Some say its been purchased by NSW and some say its leased. Whatever it is I think that it has already proved itself as a fire bombing platform. So where to from here?

This raises to me ,2 questions. Is the State based model the way to go or is this better done by the Commonwealth? The other is what is the best aircraft for an Australian based operation?

To me we have 5 possibilities.
(1) Convair 580
(2) BAE146
(3) Hercules
(4) Orion
(5) B737
I have left out the Canadair option as they are out of production.

Option 1 is obviously getting "past it "but would be cheap for an initial setup if already converted aircraft are available. There is already C580 operational experience in Australia both as freight and firebombing.

Option 2.A number of North American operators are moving in the BAE146 and derivatives and there is a long history of the type here in both airline and fire bombing ops.

Option 3 is a classic Australian stuff up. Just as we started to lease in US Hercs for fire bombers our Government managed to scrap 12 C130Hs from the RAAF. Score 100% Feds for forward thinking.
Option 4. We are also scrapping Orions despite their obvious possible use as firebombers. Again forward planning in evidence?

Option 5 There is a long history here of B737 operations but I suspect that there are limited airports, particularly inland that can handle a B737?
Whatever we do has to be done soon but given the absolute chaos of Government of all shapes in this country I doubt if anyone in Government can see beyond the next few weeks of the electoral cycle?
Wunwing