PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dam Buster Training & Raid Routes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 03:02
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
An interesting pov. Would there be enough money in a pure documentary to do the subject justice?

They shall not grow only wasn't made as a big feature film but has certainly been well received. The difference between that film and a DB documentary is the lack of sufficient contemporary film.
I'm trying to imagine what 'facts' have been held secret beyond those that had already been released (such as the actual specs for the weapon) decades ago. The statements that the original was 'romanticized' and he purchased the rights to previously declassified information bothers me in terms of what to expect from the next version. If there is much more to the story, I do hope it is told in a docu-drama mode, which from my perspective, I believe the original film was actually very close to. Incredibly popular here.- a historical drama (though a compressed time-frame of events was unavoidable, and deliberate story line stretches were made to make Gibson's character more appealing). What I've found profoundly compelling since are the surviving crew interviews, most of whom have since passed on - Les Munro, Johnnie Johnson, and particularly Ken Brown.

I've been watching the original film in the US since it was first broadcast on TV in the 1960s (and yes the dog's name was faithfully true for a long long time). At one point, the broadcast stations changed the name to Trigger. Dam Busters was one of the first VHS tapes sold when VHS players first hit the market - I was astonished to see it on the store shelf in the late 70's. I still have my original. Dog's name is accurate on the VHS as well as the subsequent DVD. I'll also say that I watched the movie on Turner some months back and the showing was faithful to original production.