PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid
Old 28th Nov 2018, 07:21
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am staggered that this isn't front page news today - either with May's Deal or No Deal, we are leaving EASA. This is monumentally idiotic. We will 'seek' and 'explore' close alignment but we will not be part of EASA. Why isn't the aerospace and aviation industry screaming the house down this morning? The CAA's ability (or not) to ramp up swiftly to take on the full burden of effectively replacing EASA has been highlighted over the couple of years. Why the silence? Airbus? BAe? What the hell is going on?
I have pondered the deafening silence from the aviation industry in all matters brexit for a while (and researched it a little) and have concluded that too much "fear and panic" would hit the forward booking hard come January, when the mainstream UK public traditionally start booking up their hols/flights for Easter onwards. This in turn would be the nail in the coffin for some airlines/holiday firms, which, let's be honest, are never that far from going belly up. Case in point, Thomas Cook, profit warning this week - didn't see any mention of a "brexit effect" anywhere (disclaimer, didn't look very hard, only read the bullets, so it might get mentioned in the small print). Where will Thomas Cook and the like be if the Great British Public circle their wagons and stay at home for the first six months of 2019? Which, by the way, is increasingly the advice of any number of travel journalists.

Furthermore, I suspect the "deafening silence" is about to end, as TM takes every possible opportunity to scare the bejeezus out of everybody, to get her deal signed up. Please don't take my post as having the remotest bremain/brexit/deal/no deal bias. I long ago gave up giving any sort of a poop how this plays out. Like most now I am purely concerned with circling my own wagons and staying aware of likely outcomes, so in order to avoid the mucky stuff as it flies every which way.

Last edited by The Old Fat One; 28th Nov 2018 at 09:13.