PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Second Op Shader DFC
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2018, 08:46
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Simplythebeast

No doubt more to it than that though that specific part of the citation does make me wonder when the fist Drone Pilot will earn a DFC !
Now that the SHADER medal will be given to RPAS crews then I would expect that a Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service (QCVS) would be appropriate. It is also a shame that the Air Force Cross (AFC), once awarded for “valour, courage or devotion to duty whilst flying” was changed in 1993 with the “devotion to duty” removed. Pre-93 this would have been a most appropriate award for the highest levels of ‘devotion to duty’ shown by our RPAS crews.

Indeed the shake up of the medal system in 1993, with the removal of the Distinguished Flying Medal (DFM) and the Air Force Medal (AFM) was in my opinion a travesty. I know that one of the last serving holders of both of these medals, who is about to retire from the Service, feels the same. By combining both with the DFC and AFC then the feeling is that the Other Ranks rarely get a look in for their individual acts of valour and devotion to duty. I tend to agree with those thoughts...

PS. A big BZ to the Flt Lt for his DFC. The nay sayers need to pipe down!