PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Low Cost Carrier
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2003, 21:34
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It probably will affect Pulse just as much as it does Short Haul - maybe?!?

For example, Pulse is taking SYD-CNS, SYD-OOL, BNE-CNS, and I believe BNE-TSV flights in addition to Short Haul operations (if not in exchange for, in some circumstances).

A final decision either way will be in 6 weeks time - so not long before we all find out the true intentions.

I agree with you GalleyHag, and would not be surprised if QF thought they could go cheaper than they already have with us. Guess it all depends on what 'incentives' (related to performance I presume, like Ryanair) they can offer to round out what may well be a pittance of a base salary. Fingers crossed that my cyncism is unfounded!

You have to also consider what QF considers 'leisure'. Sure, the Pulse operates a majority of leisure flying, but what of SYD-ASP or SYD-AYQ? MEL-BME? There's leisure on both sides of the fence - whose flying gets pillaged by the LCC remains to be seen.

As for making crew pay for their training (I needn't insert my opinion on this...it's beyond my level-headed comprehension), and their uniforms (not unusual in the states, but still... ), I only hope they get something in return, other than the stock standard response of: "You should be glad to have a job!"

All I hope for at the end of the day is this:
a) No Short Haul crew are made redundant
b) No Impulse crew are made redundant
c) The LCC goes ahead and creates employment in a very difficult field to gain entry
d) The conditions at Skimpy (or whatever it's called) aren't so bad that people are exploited

Of course - my hopes may all come to nothing. Fingers crossed that most of my list comes true. For everyone's sake!