PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L3 Selection process question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 22:09
Plain1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L3 Selection process question

Hi guys. Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong forum, can an Admin move it if required?

Long time lurker, but only signed up today to ask a question or 2, specifically regarding L3's (UK) application selection / PilApt

I have imagined there's 2 ways to get through Day 1 with the minimum stress

1) Purchase a copy of the software for PilApt (any preferred suppliers out there? Or conversely, those to avoid) a decent joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D seems popular) and the coloured number pad. Then practice, practice, practice every day until it becomes second nature
or
2) Go and acquire a PPL. I've previously had a taster lesson in a DA20 (which is responsible for all this!) I know that L3 like to train on DA20s so it seems like it would be relevant.

Clearly, one requires a larger investment than the other, but would it mean a greater chance of getting through PilApt, or even skipping it entirely and going straight to Day 2. Is this something that anyone here has done previously? Or does a PPL and a limited number of flight hours outside of training and tests not really add anything to an application?

I will add, that even if I never fly professionally, I have been setting aside funds to train for my PPL during 2019 regardless. But I wondered if it might be better to wait until I had the PPL before applying for any of L3s various programmes

Thanks for reading everyone.