PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Airlines DEFO
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 09:04
wlshwzd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Email in early November from HR

Fill out 3 forms- licence & flying experience, pilot addendum, final interview CV summary.

When asked about sending salary terms and conditions for my viewing, was informed that it’s confidential information and will be supplied if successful. ( how do you know your really interested ?)

Flight and accomodation given for two nights but only on request to HR.

Flight was non upgradeable Economy.

Ground transport from airport to hotel is via a free shuttle from the airport ground transport desk.

Hotel is the Grand Mercure Roxy, and breakfast is not included with your room. There is a mall and supermarket across the road.

Late checkout is available till 1400 for no additional charge. ( depends on your Sim session time if successful in your interview in Day 1)

Day 1

Take a taxi for $15 each way to SIA training centre for 1130 on upper Changi road. At the gate you will swap your ID or passport for a security pass then ask for directions to Lobby C level 1 and wait.

You may meet other cadets, DESO or DEFO. You will then be called as a group for a document check. Licence, medical, logbook, educational certificates, birth certificate, passport copy, recommendations from current/ last company. Also to provide a visual acuity test as class one medical will not suffice. All originals With Copies.

Then you will be given the training bond form to view, tick and sign....

BEWARE for cadet and DESO expats ( non Singaporean) It’s 7 years and 200,000 Sing $

DEFO bond is 3 years expat or not and S$150000.

Then your numbered by application, so DEFO first then DESO, then cadets.

DESO’s & cadets are required to write an essay with a minimum of 50 words as to why they want to join SIA. DEFO’s will not do this.

You are then required to sit in the hallway on a chair, and wait to be called by the panel. The panel consisted of four men. We were told beforehand that three are management pilots and one is ground training.

They do not introduce themselves by name or their position but one takes the lead.

As I was DEFO They did not ask me anything technical or anything else ATPL related. No CRM or tell us about a time when .......

Very contrary to what I thought it would be.

They asked questions about me and my flying experience.

Being hired on local terms and conditions for permanent contract. (Of which were not provided.)This is especially for those with families (wives & children)

They are not shy and will tell you there is no housing, schooling or any other expat allowances. Although normal state schools are very good. Even on day one of employment standing at the airport with your bags, you will be finding your own accommodation. There is no accomodation assistance such as hotel or company housing to ease you into living here.

Why join SIA ?

Have you been to Singapore before?

What do you know about cost of living here?

What do you know about time to command here ?

What are your thoughts about that ?

Why leave your current airline ?

They may ask you to join on 737 with Silk now that they’re part of the group, but the question may be designed to illicit a response. Depends if you like Boeing or are willing to take whatever opportunity that gets you into SIA.

In recent view of the Lion Air incident and Air France 447, what would you have done differently ?

The Interview finished after 20 mins, with some closing questions for them.

They say you will be notified via email by 10am the following day to proceed to the sim centre at the same location ( SIA training centre) at roughly 1330 the very same day.

I was emailed three hours later.

DEFO Basic entry level salary monthly is $6000 Sing, this is before tax of which you pay and sort out at the end of the year. Time from induction to final line check is between 4 to 6 months as mentioned in the interview.

If you fly max hours, you will earn $8500 per month before tax.

BE AWARE of what your left with after taking into account personal, tax related, accomodation, and transportation costs etc.

Day 2

The sim is 777, and you will meet with HR, who will take you upstairs to meet one instructor and he will brief you on the sim assessment.

Everything is raw data. Depart via SID. Then HDG then direct to a position. ( LOFT) Some wx then deviation required. After deviation engine surge which then continued to become inextinguishable engine fire. Decision making exercise. Land via raw data ILS. No autopilot or auto throttle.

You will be notified to attend the medical on Friday( it’s always on Friday) Rescheduling flights and hotel will be taken care of.

Day 3

The CAA Medical is free for DESO, they pay online and have it reimbursed at the clinic.

DEFO will pay $236 sing , it’s NOT REIMBURSED..

They’ll let you know in time.