PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncertain times for Darwin based Cobham Crew
Old 20th Nov 2018, 01:52
Gnadenburg

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Chocks Away
I'll second that last remark.Mates still in the sand dunes have/are still assessing Australian jobs but balking at them due to the huge living expenses there now as well as there being no increased T's & C's pretty much since they left! Much more financially rewarding on one of the numerous commuting contracts, if you want to look after your family and retire early.
As a Melbourne based First Officer on the A320 circa 2000 I was being paid 140 K not including Superannuation. So wage growth has been modest. Now, with the industry wide collusion on pilot wages ( we are after all a barrel of oil type commodity in the view of management ) and despite a probable structural shortage, my package in Hong Kong is now on offer at about half. And there will be young Australian takers !

Too many cheap-charlies !

Originally Posted by pilotchute
Icarus,Jetstar puts 200 hour kids in an A320 and most countries on earth will put a fresh CPL in a transport jet. The problem is Australian airlines aren't geared up to train people that way.
The recommendation for an MPL program was that training pilots were to be trained to some sort of ab initio jet training level. They are not. And this is just another industry cost-cutting short cut. From what I've seen, these 200 hr pilots are a considerable liability for a significant period of time. Their training needs to be increased significantly.