PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncertain times for Darwin based Cobham Crew
Old 17th Nov 2018, 23:07
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Nose
Whilst the subject of Pilot recruitment and retainment is an interesting topic, it is not the reason the 717 is being pulled from Darwin.

A good friend of mine (in the know) says that the Darwin base has always had the Pilot numbers assigned and in fact in recent times Pilots happily domiciled in Darwin have been forced to move to reduce the base size. Darwin has always been a great training ground for Pilots with many having cut their aviation teeth in the vibrant GA industry up there. In fact I am told there are at least 2 Darwin residents currently on the 717 hold file who where hoping for a slot to appear.

The issue with the 737 replacement I am led to believe, lies with the local governments heavy investment in the tourism market primarily targeting the Chinese ------$103mil according to their latest press release. I believe the NT government has invested a large sum of the investment money in a joint marketing strategy with the airlines. Qantas has anticipated an increase in passenger numbers between Darwin and Alice Springs and Darwin and Ayres Rock and has increased seat capacity with the 737 to accommodate forecast loadings.

Of course only time will tell whether the governments revenue was well spent and whether or not the reaction from Qantas was justified.
Yes. The pilot recruitment and shortage is not the point of thread. The point is that this model of employment is long in the tooth and other options (more reflective of market conditions) are on the table.

Qantas effectively solicit 'corporate welfare' when it suits, although apparently as a 100% private airline is at the mercy of the shareholders and capital markets.
Whether it is needing $3 billion in 2013, to nickel and diming Perth airport for a 'mutual investment' and ending up with a slice of government input Qantas will follow the golden ticket all the way to Canberra (or Darwin, or Perth)

Whether blinged up, approved tourists with bags full of fiat, flock to buy Darwin real estate is another thing. Adam Giles already sold them the port!