PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Helicopter For Sar Force
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2003, 06:05
keepin it in trim

Apache for HEMS - Strafe those Survivors!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 101 is a great pilots toy, however as a winching platform I have my doubts. Westlands were offered the benefit of advice from some pretty experienced SAR rearcrew and as usual westlands knew best.... which is why the door is way too far back, a problem made worse by the intense downwash which will probably require a higher winching height, and the winch on the canadian machines is in completely the wrong place in the door.

A problem westlands have had to address for the european orders ( to win them) by fitting a second hoist at the front of the door to allow for the high nose attitude in the hover, which was putting the cable too close to the stub during winching. I am led to believe that the canadians would very much like this mod but it involves the aircraft being returned to the factory to have additional structural strengthening inserted in the airframe in this position.

Further info says the aircraft is a pretty hard ride in turbulent mountain conditions. It is also VERY expensive in comparison with the competition.

However, despite these problems it possesses one feature which practically guarantees its purchase by MoD, down the back somewhere it has a little plate on the airframe with the words "invented and built here" inscribed on it. Enjoy it team.