PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So if it’s so bad....why aren’t you all quitting?
Old 14th Nov 2018, 14:27
Slasher1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the answer to the OP comes in the form of seniority (one can argue pros and cons till the cows come home but it is the way it is and I don't think anyone has found a better way to do it) and when to cut your losses.

The Las Vegas syndrome is alive and well (i.e. when do I cut my losses and move on) with people believing they are due for a 'win' even though there's no rational reason to believe this is true. Still, it's a powerful human force not wanting to dump all that seniority and start over. In fact, I'm sure the company banks on this to string people along while spinning up their replacements. I can't fathom how anyone can believe they might wind up on a base at this point (the ONLY way this might happen is if EVERYTHING else fails--POS 18 doesn't attract refugee pilots, DEC's and DEFOs on whatever terms in HKG fails, individually negotiated extension contracts fail, etc -- and this will take years as it already has to figure out -- all the while one is dumping precious seniority elsewhere). And I can't fathom how one can expect a 'win' in things getting better when the overwhelming trajectory has been rapidly downward.

To me, it seems the 'break' point is around 50-ish. Below this, IMHO, one would be absolutely nuts to stay one day more than necessary to find a new job wherever (unless he or she were figuring on a few years working in aviation then going into a wholly different career field). Above this, it becomes a matter of making life fun and manageable and minimizing work's impact on life while getting ready for early retirement (socking away money at the higher scales in the process while also fixing up oneself addressing previously 'deferred maintenance' which needs to be done on the body).

In any case, as I've said in the past, I think it wise to remember your 'golden years' are RIGHT NOW. The most precious resource in your life is time--and no one knows how much time they get. Finances are only one (small) aspect of this picture--and do you really want to pi$$ away your best years over a bribe so cheap ? If you're thinking things will get better, they won't. If you're thinking you will get a base, you won't. Simple as that and the cards are all on the table. If you're really happy with the way the cards look and the way your life is going--great. If not move on. But don't expect pie-in-the sky false promises to materialize.

The one major question I'd ask is there ANYONE -- anyone at all -- who has decided to move on and has regretted the decision ? I know of many who have moved on--universally their life is much happier now. NOT ONE has regretted the decision in any way.