PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing a MD-11 (the hard way is not funny...)
Old 10th Mar 2002, 10:28
willflyforfood

Im always the first to admit that i'm not perfect. I mean, we all do the odd bad landing every now and then. I've certainly had more than my share... While this one is pretty shocking, I have seen, and been a passenger on aircraft that have done worse... I was on a Qantas Link Bae146 landing in Brisbane in August last year. I believe we touched down about 5 times. First was the R-main with a thud, causing all the lights to flicker, and overhead bins to open. The pilot overcorrected, and now (floating back in the air with nothing on the ground) he crunches the L-main down, with the R-main airborne again. Then, before the R-Main gets back on the ground, the nose gear bangs down, and there is an ear piercing crunching metal noise. R-Main touches down, about 2 feet from the side of the runway. It didnt bother me to much, but there were other passengers screaming, and the flight attendants looked a tad nervous... Probably didnt help the Captain and FO's egos, when as the passengers exited the aircraft, and walked towards the terminal, there were 2 drunk ones (not me) laughing and pointing up at the flight deck from outside at the front of the aircraft. The aircraft also sat on an awkward angle.... .Anyway... as embarrasing as it might be... everyone does them... Its like farting in public.. sometimes you cant help it!