PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid
Old 28th Oct 2018, 12:00
aox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More than two years into this process, not many people know much more than they did two years ago.

Despite an outward mood of quiet confidence that things are nearly sorted out, or will be, the UK's transport minister Chris Grayling is reputed to have discussed with ministerial colleagues there might be contingency measures against no deal, chartering ships to arrange emergency deliveries of food and medical supplies, to bypass possible delays and other chaos at UK ports.

This is the man who insists that rail strikes are outside his responsibility, despite that government subsidy and poor contracts allow some rail companies to make the same money whether they provide service or not. He also complained about too many cyclists in London, and it transpired he'd recently knocked one over by opening a car door without looking first. So not promising, but I digress.

What I haven't seen in those rumours of possible disruption at ports is anything about aviation. We occasionally see reminders that Heathrow is one of our biggest ports. I wonder whether the putative need for extra shipping capacity, to bypass some of us queuing to catch the ferry, is partly also a contingency against being able to fly less stuff in, and if so why this might not have occurred to journalists producing those articles the other day