PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another sucker drawn in by the Middle East?
Old 28th Oct 2018, 11:13
SurfingBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another sucker drawn in by the Middle East?

Greetings

I've been long time Pprune follower since 2012 when i first started flying. I've learnt a lot from reading the posts on this site since & fast forward six years later, I'm a first officer on a B787. I created this account & thread recently to seek out some sound (...and hopefully wise!) advice on how to proceed forward with my career. Ever since I started flying I've always been infatuated with the idea of working with a Legacy carrier like Emirates, or Qatar in the Middle east. To this day, I'm still eager to make the move.
The Airline I currently fly for isn't quite what I imagined my first Airline job to be ( i was formally a GA pilot) and I made more money flying twin-turboprops than I do now flying a B787 making around $2000 to $2500(Tops!) a month. Captains in my company make roughly $3500-$4000 so it's not a tremendous step up either but one I look forward to nontheless. I'm about to hit that 3000hr mark with 2000hrs on aircraft > 20tonnes and Im contemplating a move to the UAE.
​​​My wife & I are currently getting by but we can't afford much outside a decent living & I strongly feel I can save more money in the UAE than where I currently am.
T​​​​​his leads me to the question, am I making the right decision by trying to move to the UAE?

Thank you in advance for your time & suggestions!