PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK GA Misogyny;Are Female Pilots Denigrated.
Old 27th Oct 2018, 21:09
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mary meagher
We women are more conservative and careful than men, who usually have more money than the girls. My first flight was over Tampa Bay, Florida, in 1944, and after that life got more complicated. With 4 kids to raise, not a lot of spare time or money. So not until 1983, noticing the gliders crossing the M40 at High Wycombe, had another go....never forget sitting in the front seat of the K13, tug towline getting tight, do I really want to do this! .....and the tug powered up, and we followed it over the hedge, and that was IT! since then, never stopped flying.
Mary kindly sent me a complimentary copy of her book,Gliding Granny, some time ago.

Now 85 she is still involved in gliding.

This from the Banbury Guardian May 2016

Gliding Granny on Final Approach

by Mary Meagher

In this fascinating book, Mary Meagher, a retired gliding instructor, tug pilot and aircraft owner, looks back over her flying life. Mary tells us how she learnt to glide, then to qualify as an instructor and to take part in flying rallies, including representing the UK in a Women´s European Championship held in the Russia. Her longest flight was over 500 kilometres and her highest to 20,300 feet. She toured Europe in her Supercub and flew hired aircraft in the USA, where she also gained a seaplane rating. One chapter examines why few women fly and gives details of some famous women pilots of the past. Because Mary is a member of the Guild of Aviation Artists, the book is illustrated with many of her beautiful paintings, as well as with superb aerial photographs.