PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landings
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2018, 15:08
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Thank you for your replies, v interesting!

I have discussed the issue with an ex Concorde and DC10 colleague, crab, push off drift approved on both types.

So, OAP, it is a fact that, having covered Boeing , Airbus, MacD and Concorde, all of which approve crab and drift removal I think, contrary to your statement that it IS a generally approved technique in commercial airliner ops!

No idea what you are talking about, first, second or third person nonsense. ( and if you are ex RAF Tristar. I doubt if you have flown one at twice the weight of a 767 ER, it’s only 65 k lighter than the 1011)

However, the question was what is the RAF teaching, seems it’s mixed.

I still remember an interesting discussion at Boeing . They explained that the crosswind limit was the maximum DEMONSTRATED during certification by them, and the aircraft controllability was almost certainly able to handle greater limits.

I used my crab technique on my conversion in Seattle , they were happy with that and signed me off.

They also explained that that a fully crabbed landing was acceptable because less skilled line pilots might do it! The structure could handle it.

However, because it it could be done didn’t mean it SHOULD be done if a smoother technique, such as wing down, crab /drift removal could be used.

I am more than happy to take the word of the manufacturer’s test and training pilots !

Anyway I think we have put the issue to bed.

Thank you for your replies.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 26th Oct 2018 at 18:02.