PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landings
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2018, 11:10
pontifex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I trained in Canada (1956) I was taught the wing down technique. It worked a treat, particularly on Harvards (a well known beast). Back to the UK, where the QFIs considered Canadian trained students to be incompetent, I was forced to use the "kick of drift" method. I always prefered the former. And so it continued until, as a TP at Boscombe, I was tasked to investigate X wind landing techniques for Nimrods going into Stanley and C130s in really tough conditions. There was no doubt that the wing down method was the best. I subsequently flew the Lanc. Previous OCBBMS's told me horror stories of truly awful Xwind landing experiences using the RAF "KOD". Not surprisingly I elected to us wing down and I can honestly say that the heart rate never flickered! The Lanc also made me realise that, using wing down, the aircraft always reached terra firma with the controls exactly as required for the roll out whereas with KOD you touch down any old how. I subsequently taught civilian students wing down and they took to it like ducks to water. As I am sure readers will understand this is my pet subject. SORRY!