PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 Medical rules?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2018, 01:43
RHSandLovingIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, I don't live in Europe/UK... I'm UTC+13, so YMMV etc

I think they were trying to point out that in most cases, the "ability" of the applicant (as shown through the Sim) seems to be the overriding factor as to whether or not said applicant is successful... "Age" is probably less of a factor than you think.

Regarding age, I got my CPL when I was 35 and I just got my first twin turboprop job a couple of months back... Started the ground course a week before my 43rd birthday.

Experience wise... I had around 600 hrs in GA and 1000 hrs in the RHS of a Cessna Caravan with Susi Air. (1950+ TT). Prior to my interview at the beginning of August, I hadn't flown commercially since 2016. I'd been "self funding" currency by going for the odd jolly in a 172 and doing my yearly Single Pilot MEIR (Partenavia and Duchess) renewals while knocking on doors and sending CVs etc.

While my previous flying experience definitely helped (CTO/ATO + turboprop time etc), part of the feedback I got was that my "life experience" and maturity also played a part in getting that "congratulations" phone call (and of course, a satisfactory Sim session)

As for the medical, my advice is to just do it. Book the medical and go. You're not going to get anything close to an accurate assessment of your ability to gain a Class 1 medical from an online forum. Only a qualified (D)AME will be able to do that. Also, the cost involved is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall costs involved with gaining a pilot licence.

Generally, if the doc has any concerns with something (and it isn't an outright showstopper like Diabetes), they'll discuss it with you and make recommendations to help you rectify it. They're not there to try and fail you. At least, none of the (D)AMEs I've ever used have...