PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union for all Australian pilots.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 18:04
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratherbefishintoday
The AFAP has voted to change its coverage rules to once again cover all Australian pilots. One pilot union for all Australian pilots, coverage from cradle to the grave; Student, GA, Aero-med, Charter, Rotary, Regional Airline, Domestic Airline, International Airline. Well done to the AFAP. 👍

The technicality that had the last proposal dismissed has been rectified. Thank you to AIPA, Qantas and the TWU for pointing that out🤡
So riddle me this: how do you expect things will play out now? How exactly is this going to lead to one pilot union? Some GA pilots that think that there is benefit in the MBF may be tempted to stay with AFAP when they get a job with Qantas, but I don’t expect a significant portion of any other group to seriously contemplate AFAP as the union of choice for Qantas mainline. I can also confidently say that if this was voted up in the expectation it would ‘force’ some kind of merger, that will not happen. AIPA has the resources and experience to represent mainline pilots. A merger that kept the AFAP structure would be too much of a risk for AIPA to contemplate.