PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - night flying
Thread: night flying
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 20:21
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genghis, couldn't agree more.

My home airfield only opens at night a couple of days a week for training - weekdays only, which is no use to me because I can only fly at weekends.

My next nearest airfield also only opens on weekdays for night flying, but at least they open 5 days a week. Still, it's no use to me.

The next nearest after that will open 7 days a week. But only for pilots who are based there - there are some trees on final which become invisible at night, apparently.

So that leaves me with next fourth-nearest airfield, where I tried to do some night flying last year. The airfield is only open until 6pm, which doesn't leave enough time to get anywhere and come back. Add to that the fact that I was not at all impressed with the school I was renting from.... and won't be going back again this year.

The fifth-nearest airport is my next option (I guess I'm lucky to have 5 airports within almost-reasonable driving distance). I think they might be my best bet, but since I'm out of the country for half of the winter this year I haven't decided yet whether to go through the hassle of getting checked out at a new school. I might, though, because I love night-flying - everything becomes really pretty.

FFF
----------------