PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landings
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2018, 21:47
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
I once had to defend a TriShaw pilot who'd alarmed some REMF FJ Wg Cdr at MPA by 'large bank angles near the ground' on the final approach. Having spoken with ATC and obtained a tape, although the PAR was poorly flown, the final approach attitude was clearly due to the ex-Hercules pilot using the 'wing down' technique in the usual MPA crosswind, which was alien to this FJ Wg Cdr. In fact I'd been on board the TriShaw at the time and the landing seemed entirely routine from a passenger's point of view.

Anyone who 'kicks off' the drift or uses 'bootfulls' of rudder deserves a good kicking themselves! One merely aligns the aeroplane with the runway at the same rate which one uses to initiate the flare. Once down, into wind control column and forward pressure helps - although FBW aircraft may have some control laws of their own, I guess.

But if an A380 can cope with 40-50 kt crosswinds using the wing down crab technique, I'd have thought that pilots of smaller aircraft should also be able to manage the technique:

Last edited by BEagle; 25th Oct 2018 at 06:02. Reason: Wrong tekneek!