PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair flight: 'Racial abuse passenger' referred to police
Old 24th Oct 2018, 08:02
ex-XL-in-exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with the media coverage - specifically, the media coverage here in the UK - about this incident, but more especially into the man in question.
Firstly we had the (mainly tabloid) media almost gleefully reporting it as a racist incident. There now appears to be significant doubt about that. Worse, there are now personal insults splashed across the public domain about the man himself without knowing his mental capacity. One of our (here in the UK) magazine television morning TV show hosts, which airs to millions, called him "this half-wit". Today, most tabloid press are naming him, with his "neighbours" - in his home city, which again they have identified - labelling him as a "wierdo."

No. Yes, he did an horrific thing in verbally abusing the lady BUT - big "but" - IF he is mentally unstable then having his name and location reported openly in the national press AND having his character slurred so publicly then we are into territory that I find verging on dangerous for him.

I think a little calming of the waters on this is needed until the full facts are known. Else we could drive him into a pretty dark place, which nobody wants.