PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH558 - not good news?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 18:40
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter,

I think we broadly agree on this matter.
It's not that I don't want to see her fly again - far from it. It is the ONLY aircraft that can actually STOP an airshow, and by that I mean that everything stops, and everyone watches her fly.

But I do have very serious reservations about her getting airborne again tho' She is old, and despite hours of love and care from a great bunch of enthusiasts, the project has, for many years, lacked the expertise needed to keep an aircraft of this complexity in airworthy condition. That is NOT a dig at the Bruntingthorpe chaps at all, it is merely a fact. You must ask yourself, why, after nearly 10 years, are we still trying? Surely, if it was feasible, then it would have been much more feasible 10 years ago?

My other major concern is that there will be plenty of ex-Vulcan pilots out there, who would leap at the chance of getting the bird airborne again, and that is another danger (maybe my biggest fear) I have seen the size of the hole made by Vulcans when they crash, during my time on the jet - they're 'kin big - believe me! The last thing I want to see is another one at a major (or minor) airshow. It is for that very (safe) reason, that I believe the old lady should be left in one piece firmly on the ground, for my grand children and lots of others to see, still in one piece!

I am sure they are doing their best as you say, but it concerns me that, despite countless rumours, no one from the VOC et al, will come forward and tell us. Why is that do you think? Do you think they have something to hide? I have to say that if it was me, then I would be on this forum, in thwe press, on the TV - aeverywhere, telling 'the people' that the rumours are not true. This lack of comment does little but fuel the debate on will she....wont she? The VOC MUST clarify the situation, if only for there own benifit. People will not continue to give if they think the project is doomed already, will they?

Kind regards

The Swinging Monkey