PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training of low hour pilots in airlines
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 15:43
international hog driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I’ve been away for a week long trip and having read the responses it has shed some light on what my colleagues and I are facing.

To clarify some of the grey areas, yes we are in a lesser developed part of the world, yes some of these guys are more “political” appointees rather than keen aviators and yes some are good others are not.

The replies have only emphasized the deficiencies that we (the trainers) have indicated to the company. We do not have the luxury of a ‘safety pilot’, it was suggested and they offered to place two of the trainees in the cockpit.

The local captains have refused to fly the ‘training routine’ for several reasons.

If anything goes wrong (& it does) they will lose face.
They are scared of repercussions if they tread on the toes of some of the well connected cadets.
Some realize their own limitations (others do not).

This is in no way a reflection on cadets themselves, myself I was never in that position. Self improver to low capacity multi-crew environment, and onwards, so my introduction was slightly different. We used the same procedures in the small stuff as the bigger stuff and hence the step up was more a handling type of experience than a procedural change.
We were not part of the initial training processes and the new crews were all trained by locals designated by the company. We were simply given a new bunch of pilots and told to go fly, with the new guys apparently competent to local standards.

Now before anyone jumps up and down and says that “you have to start somewhere” or “we cant be expected to pass the highest lever” here is an example.

Several of the cadets have been trained in external countries, and their quality is generally much better. One was trained in the UK under in a structured environment before he returned to his home country. Without ever flying locally he was employed by the opposition where a friend of mine trained him in ‘western ways’ (thanks Nugget – you did good). He was subsequently employed by our group and he came to me to ask why Capt X does this and Y & Z do that. He is simply more competent than the rest.

It simply goes down to standards.

Now for some of the low timers who may not understand me clearly. Personally, when I have to pax or my nearest and dearest have to travel, I want a competent crew, where the Skipper is not having to do everything while ‘training’ a pilot of below average skills. I am sure that one day when you are in the LHS you will know what we mean.
When you are flying an aircraft that has been dispatched within the extreme limits of the MEL. In a non-radar busy procedural environment. Where English is not the first language of crews or controllers. In mountainous terrain. With turbulence, CB’s, diversions and a wx radar that’s favourite colour is magenta, all the time trying to show a newbie the ropes.

Safe flying crew

IHD