PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The FI path --- how?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2018, 11:29
Airgus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N2P, get your PPL first, build your experience second.
Then decide.
No one will give you an AC with Zero Hours, unless you are a renter and you did a check up flight and you pay for that.
No gliding club will let you fly their aircraft unless you get yourself there, invest time with them, get some gliding hours (my advise is always if you can, gliding is a great way of learning how to fly) and after insisting they will open up in few months. Tow Banner is a paid activity, so forget about it.
Your first 100 hours are on your own, the second 100 hours can be done with some networking help (gliding towing as an example) if you want to call it like that, but you still need to pump some cash to build those hours.
Flight Instructing to jump to the airlines is like those who can not afford flying will join the air-force to be deserters after few years to become civilian pilots. The core of AF is to serve your nation, not to use them as a bridge.
The core of instructing is to share experience (that you do not have) and you are expecting to build under the cost of the student.
The student is supposed to be learning from you, not the other way around.
Instructing for you will come when you feel like doing it. Not now, not next year .
Follow my previous advice, build yourself up correctly thinking in your future, you have nothing to lose in grabbing a book, reading magazines, flying every week or weekend, until you find yourself in the moment, that you ask yourself whatever you are asking now.
After you get 100 hours as PPL pilot, ask yourself:
  • Shall I continue the reading and turn it into study to get the CPL/ATPL TK?, yes, then get yourself in that path. Become a professional pilot.
  • Shall I continue flying weekends as a hobby and remain PPL? yes, then continue with your money making job, safe heaven and nice hobby.
  • Shall I continue in this club that they know me and become a *CRI to get them a hand flying while I am available?, yes, invest 15k in CPL then start building your CRI experience by doing check rides, safety pilot flights, endorsement for different type of aircraft that club owns, etc. *You need 300 PIC
  • Shall I continue as FI after that experience?, yes then invest 8k to do the course and start teaching PPL student considering you already are known to that school or club, otherwise, the first year as FI with no experience is a hunting game with a low reward.
  • Can I grow as FI? well get yourself a MEP, move into a skydiving club that fly twins, get your MEP experience above 100s hrs MEP, get back to the FI as MEP.
  • Can I keep growing as IRI? by the time you reach it, TESLA would have created a plane that is flown by dogs and no human will be needed anymore.
Get yourself into flying, maybe after 100 hours you realize is not for you.

Last edited by Airgus; 17th Oct 2018 at 12:03.