PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The FI path --- how?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2018, 15:05
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duchess_Driver
Time building to get to the airlines rather than hour building to get the licence...
What's the difference? 250hrs or whatever the requirement is to get CPL or FI is still 250hrs and would still be recognised by the airlines, correct?

Originally Posted by rudestuff
Given that the CBIR route allows you to get an IR while hour building and a CPL course costs less than an FI course, in a nutshell: Becoming a PPL/FI as a stepping-stone to CPL/IR makes no sense because it will cost you more than a CPL/IR!
Trying to wrap my head around all that info. What is CBIR?

From what I understand so far:
* I can do PPL/FI under Class 2 Medical but can only teach LAPL (source?)
* Doing CPL by itself is redundant because I'll want to do ATPL later anyway so it's better to just study for and take the ATPL exams but this then sets an 18-month timer to freeze it --- what do I need to do to freeze the ATPL? CPL/IR?
* After doing my ATPL exams and taking CPL/IR (are there exams for CPL and IR or is it just a skills test +/- an oral exam??), and assuming I took a FI course under PPL, I can now instruct PPL

Looking at all this and comparing to the FTE Jerez FI offer, they want CPL with IR, FI, and a Class 1 Medical with 500hrs PIC and 200hrs being flight instructing..... at this point I'm thinking why would someone with those ratings and hours still be looking at FI and not airline applications? Or whoever is in that situation either 1) has no interest in airline and really wants to flight instruct or 2) is just in a holding pool for airline pilot applicants and won't be flight instructing for very long.

Looking at their FI Career Development offer, they want CPL and a Class 1 Medical, but I can't find a minimum number of hours needed before taking CLP or ATPL exams? So can I do PPL, then study for ATPL, take the exams, do CPL, and then apply?

Getting more and more confused now!!