PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen Charts
Thread: Jeppesen Charts
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2001, 16:16
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bally... I'm fairly sure that, if the procedure requires a level segment at 750 FT, it would say so. Having said that, I've thought of one possibility of why the wording is the way it is.

When Pans Ops 3rd Edition first burst on the scene, it had a requirement to provide for a level acceleration segment of 6NM length. This design feature was later repealed but, for progressive aviation authorities that already had many such procedures in issue, the removal of this feature had to be reflected in their procedures. This could have entailed massive changes to the charts already in issue.

It is possible that, as an interim measure, the authority responsible for this procedure may have simply modified the textual description of the missed approach by deleting words that may have said something along the lines of "Climb to 750FT prior to level acceleration, then turn LEFT onto 179 and climb to 4000."

If this is anywhere near the fact, I would think the wording you've quoted could be a reasonable alternative. I agree that it might have been better expressed, but I have to come back to my statement at the outset here that "if the procedure requires a level segment at 750 FT, it would say so".

Indeed, unless space on the chart is too small, it would probably also say why it is necessary to fly level at such an altitude. So I tend to agree with pigboat in that, the textual description only states key altitudes and assumes the aircraft will continue climbing straight after reaching 750 FT. In absense of other information, or any modifying instructions from ATC, that's how I would fly it.