PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen Charts
Thread: Jeppesen Charts
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2001, 03:26
Bally Heck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole point of the thread Monty, is that if the published procedure is unclear, then it may not be possible for even you, with your undoubted skills to fly. Not being a procedure designer, I don't see it as part of my job to second guess what they have designed. I know these guys do a good and thorough job. This should be reflected in the way the information is presented to pilots.

Approach plates should be clear, accurate, easy to read and use. They should also be standard in the way they are laid out and worded.

I repeat my earlier posting.

LERS missed approach procedure VOR ILS DME 25.

"Climb to 750', then turn LEFT onto R-236 to D7.0 RES. Turn LEFT onto heading 179* climbing to 4000' then turn LEFT direct to VOR and hold."

This clearly instructs the pilot to fly level at 750 feet until D7.0 RES. This is also clearly wrong.

Let a lawyer get his teeth into that and he would tear it apart.

The English language is one of the most important tools of our trade. If the tool is used incorrectly, it can, will and has caused accidents. It seems strange to me that our R/T phraseology is quite rightly strictly regulated. Yet Jeppesens and other flight guide publishers and some regulatory authorities can use unclear, ambiguous and plainly incorrect wording on their publications.