PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "resume normal speed"
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2003, 13:23
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standardisation

Reading this post, the thing that stands out to me is all the advice about "what I like to do".
Suerly everyone should be doing what the book says (and hopefully everyone's books are the same )? I am sick of the amount of hand-holding that is developing in this job. If everybody used the standard phrases, the pilots might have a chance of understanding what is wanted of them. At the moment it's "at this airport they mean this, in this country that means this" etc.
The speed thing crops up all the time. Why? Maybe it's exactly because of all the "what I like to do"........?

However, I experience many times that the en route centre do not apply speed control at all and when released to us they can be travelling at 350kts @ FL60.
Then surely they (the pilot's) are breaking rules? Do you chip them, or the centre about it? Was their speed restriction cancelled? Was that a co-ord failure? Did the pilot not understand the standard phraseology that was used (because of all the "what I like to do" he had heard over the last 6 months)? Is there a problem with your hand-off procedure? What, with all your "experience and skill " did you do to prevent a recurrence of that situation?