PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ - Joint List
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2018, 05:03
ka_pai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“How do we create and implement a superior career pathway that provides attractive long-term career and lifestyle opportunities for all pilots within the Air NZ Group” - this is the opening line in the Pathways mission statement. Hiring external turboprop drivers with the same or less experience that currently exists within the Air NZ group does not provide a superior career pathway that’s attractive for these Link pilots. Hence a few guys for Prop* not getting the positions they were told they had.

One aspect of the GOP is that it initially benefits the top hundred or so Link guys that want that longhaul jet position so they can live in the regions and commute, but won’t take the f20 gig to get on the list in the first place. Yes there is a chance they could get s/o, but they don’t like the idea that with the EOI they have RSL seniority but have pilots junior to them taking a jet seniority number ahead of them. Of course if they are on tag and release then they can turn down the first jet position offered and wait for the next one ( within 3 years or by mutual agreement).
The GOP is dead and buried I’d say. The masses have spoken. As John Campbell would say “now ponder this” (and this could be reaching but....) if the GOP exisited all it requires is a majority vote in years to come to amend the contract to change seniority to ‘group’ DOJ. Why would you support that possibility if you are on jet list now and know there are a lot of link guys with group seniority to you. Say goodbye (potentially) to that wide body command you were hoping to get. This is great for Link pilots so of course they would support the GOP. But they don’t get to vote on it so it’s a non issue.
And as mentioned earlier, a GOP serves the companies interests to future crewing issues on the airbus if it remains that way. I could go on...

Reality is, there is no problem filling jet positions in terms of willing and able Link applicants (though I believe it’s essential to continue to have external experience from other operators/airforce) . It’s the Links that have the issue and that is pilots not taking commands (believing they will go jet without one which won’t happen anymore) or company expositions having a set hour minimum on type to take the LHS. We don’t need cadet s/o’s and hopefully won’t have them in the way Whittaker wants them i.e lowest paid flying job in Air NZ with lowest experience. The term cadet is even a stretch using it as that implies the company will pay for their training and that’s something they are not willing to do.

I must say, it’s nice to read a thread with different opinions and it not to have turned into a bitter slagging fest which other threads of other aviation groups have. Just saying.

Is the briefing complete? Questions, suggestions. Fuel for Canberra Capt M?