PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Quality of your Instruction…
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2003, 03:20
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPR

Just one thing: don't mention names in this business, ever (not that you would but I am saying it anyway).

The reason is this: the GA training business is not, generally, doing very well. Most schools are at best only just hanging in there. As a result, there is a lot of slagging off going on. You've only got to say something, purely in passing, which just conceivably might be considered by somebody else as ever so slightly critical of somebody else, and it will travel at 150kt around the airfield If it is an airfield with a number of schools then you can bet they are making even less money and it will travel at 200kt (IAS)... And it will get modified at each waypoint, usually in a manner which makes the originator look very bad when it arrives at its destination. And the destination is whatever anybody wants it to be, to suit their own agenda.

GA is quite small and a lot of people know each other, and a lot of them have their own agendas. School A may not like school B because school A's students have to walk past B's front door on their way to the aircraft, and occassionally some will desert. And that's just the easy stuff. Within a school, one often finds too many instructors for the number of students, with predictable results.

And so on. In this business, it's best to keep one's head down

We could all post notes about something dreadful. I could post details of dreadful maintenance practices, multi-aircraft school fly-outs over the channel 100kg over MTOW and with no liferafts and not enough lifejackets, you name it. But one must resist the temptation. For a start, these things are pretty widespread.

As I've said before, get your PPL, get your FAA PPL/IR, get your plane, and do some real flying. THEN, when you search for hangar space for your plane, you will really begin to appreciate why keeping your head down for the last few years was such a good idea

I am saying this only 25% tongue in cheek. The rest is personal experience.