PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stawell crash
Thread: Stawell crash
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2018, 21:44
mcoates

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rashid Bacon
The question I do have is does CASA make any separate certification determination when registering an aircraft on the VH register v the RA AUS pathway (as was the case with the event aircraft at Stawell). I don't know.
There is no difference between LSA registration in the VH or RA-Aus category. The paperwork differs a little bit with regards to the application but all of the supporting documentation from the manufacturer is the same.

The manufacturer themselves does the self certification, there is no need to send it out to any third party.

Any audits that I have been involved with the FAA, they are only looking at the paperwork and structure inside the company for reporting ongoing problems in the fleet, they have not once looked further into the flight characteristics or performance claims of the aircraft.

This is lacking in my opinion because we know that there are aircraft registered in the LSA category (around the world) that don't stall anywhere near the stated figures but nobody in authority has ever called them out, they don't carry the required payload for minimum fuel standard pilot and passenger and in some cases exceed the imposed speed limit in the US certification categories (that does not apply to Australia)