PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting those four adults into a C172...
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2003, 19:04
KCDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting those four adults into a C172...

Probably start off a flame war here, but I would appreciate people's views.

On occasion, I would love to take 4 adults up. All I have easily at my disposal are normal 4 seat trainers (160 HP Warriors or C172s).

Received wisdom says don't do it.

The alternative is problematic. Travel to a field 1 hr away, and rent an Arrow at c£150 per hour (that's after x hours complex conversion training).

Yet, at my airfield, you often see 4 well built adults (including an instructor) getting into a 172 and taking off on a pleasure flight. When asked how they do it, the reply goes something like: "sure you can take 4 adults up... but you better check the weight and balance.

So the other day, I got the documentation out on the best Warrior and C172 where I fly, and did some calcs.

The C172 has the advantage, in that it is much lighter, but has about the same load bearing as the Warrior. My heart rose when I figured out that, in terms of weight, I could take off with 2 * 13 Stone adults in the front, 2 * 11 Stone adults in the back, 28 lbs of baggage, and a half tank of fuel... just.

My heart promptly sank when the C of G was way aft of the limit (38.5" at full weight is the limit, and I had calculated the above load at 44").

So... what to do.

1) Only make friends with very light adults or mature infants.

2) Bite the bullet and convert to the Arrow (could be fun), but that inpromptu trip to L2K would lose a lot of the shine.

3) Figure out how the instructors manage to take off in a heavily loaded 172...

4) Buy the right plane or join a Group in something decent. This option is not for me at the moment - can do without the strings.

5) Your option here...