PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fraud by Flying School
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2018, 15:22
av8beyond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to make a couple of phone calls

saby8, I am a former Canadian flight instructor (Toronto area), and completed my flight training in the US, Canada and Australia.

You definitely need to make a couple of phone calls ASAP. First, call the Chief Flight Instructor of the school and see if he can give you a reason for what is happening (beyond the usual vague excuses, such as failing her stage checks). You are paying the bill, and you and your daughter need to be respected as customers. If you are not satisfied with the response, I suggest calling the local FAA FSDO - Flight Standards District Office (google: FAA+FSDO for the phone number). Ask to speak to an FAA flight inspector, and give him/her specific details. Ask him/her what your daughter's school-transfer options are. You may even want to suggest that your daughter come to see him/her at the office (along with her log-book and passport).

Since your daughter is on an M-1 visa, she is obviously at a Part 141 school. I was briefly at a Part 141 school in Phoenix many years ago, and spoke to an Egyptian (male) student there who took over 70 hours to get his first solo. According to him, his instructor (also from the Middle East) was not letting him handle the controls and was essentially pumping him for flight-time. The student finally switched to an experienced flight instructor (also a jet charter pilot) and got his solo and private certificate without further ado in a few more hours.

Although the situation mentioned above is not typical, I have found from personal experience that many US Part 141 schools (especially in Florida and Arizona) that cater primarily to foreign students do not have the students' best interests in mind (the Egyptian student's issue should have been flagged by the Chief long before he'd logged 70 hours of dual). The quality of flight training is also typically poor, because they tend to guarantee every graduate an instructor job. Most students on M-1 visas complete their CPL, get an instructor rating and begin working for the school to get to 1,500 hrs. They typically have only 1 or 2 students each, so many unscrupulously do their best to pad the student's dual hours. Many foreign instructors at these Part 141 schools are also completely unpaid - the school does not declare them to be graduates to US immigration, does not do the paperwork to authorize OPT (optional practical training), so they are not legally able to work for money in the US. In other words, a student is paying for an instructor's time, but the school keeps 100% of that money - leaving no incentive for the foreign-student-turned-instructor to put any effort into his or her work.

How many hours has your daughter logged at this school? How much dual, how much solo? Are her other PPL requirements (night training, solo and dual cross-country hours, etc.) completed? Since it is a Part 141 course, I think she really needs to try to complete her PPL at this school (Part 61 would be much more flexible, but she is not eligible for that as a foreign student). So make all the noise you have to, in order to make that happen. Once that is done, you can decide whether you want her to switch to a Canadian flight school. Yes, she can legally be a flight training student in Canada on a Visitor's visa for up to 6 months (the Canadian consulate will issue a Visitor's visa with the added line "Category: SX-1 Student", which means student-exempt). With this, she will not be allowed to work in Canada. Otherwise, she can get a full student visa for Canada, which should allow her limited-time work opportunities, once she completes her "degree" (CPL).

Keep in mind that winter is approaching in Canada, and from personal experience as an instructor there I can confirm that the pace of flight training slows down considerably for most of Canada between Nov and April (not just due to the cold; many days are overcast with IFR weather). May through Oct is the best time for flying there. So you may want to consider another school in the southern US. There are a few smaller Part 141 schools too, that can issue an I-20 form for the student visa. Since your daughter is already cleared on SEVIS and by the TSA, I personally think this will be her best option. You will need to look into USCIS options for transfer of school. Also, the Transport Canada flight training syllabus (after PPL) is quite different from the FAA syllabus, so your daughter may have to adjust somewhat if she switches to Canada. Most Canadians, for example, get their Instrument Rating after their Commercial licence (it is often combined with the multi-engine rating, a.k.a. Group I instrument Rating).

If you need any further advice, just PM me. I am sorry that you are in this situation, but make a few calls and you will solve the problem. I agree with Squawk7777 that female students often need a slightly different approach, and that does not necessarily mean that they are bad pilots. Very likely, the problem is her instructor's approach and teaching method. If he is not being paid by the school (if he's a foreign-student-turned-instructor without OPT authorized), demand that she be switched to an instructor who is being paid by the school.

Schools like this give the flight training community a bad name. If they don't think they can successfully train her, they should return the unused money in her account and process her school transfer without prejudice.

Good luck.

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.