PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains responsibility
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2018, 12:29
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by olster
Wiggy, you should try to stop defending the indefensible. I agree that 'inept monkeys' is ridiculous and many airlines run late through ineptitude or other. However, there are serious issues here and not just speculation. Did the cabin crew inform the flight deck of the seriousness of the situation? Was Mayday called? At what the stage was the catastrophic and deteriorating situation known and if it was within range of a diversion airport why was an immediate diversion not initiated. I have a horrible feeling that the elephant in the room might have been the lateness of the flight and that may have influenced the flight crew (captain) DM. I hope that I am wrong
The decision to divert or not, cabin crew/flight crew comms were covered at the inquest where the crew were put through the ringer by the famiy’s QC, and for example the captain explained to the coroner why he didn’t divert, a reason which presumably the coroner accepted as valid or at very least not effecting the outcome.

As a result of hearing all of that the coroner reached his conclusions ....in which he actually commended the efforts of the Cabin manager...we are aware of that aspect of the conclusions..aren’t we?

Some here, having only read selected extracts, still insist that despite what the coroner (the legal official who heard all the evidence) decided this girl’s death is partially or wholly is BA’s fault. IMHO that probably says as much about some people’s attitudes and prejudices rather then me defending the supposedly indefensible.

I get it, I really do, it is the standard default for many here that if it involves BA in any small way it’s all BA’s fault.