PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing wins T-X
Thread: Boeing wins T-X
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2018, 09:45
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
TBM-Legend

I’m afraid I do not know your background but comments such as that appear to miss the mark somewhat.

Before disparaging an aircraft you must consider it’s role.

The USAF want a trainer not a multi role fighter. It is a beautiful jet and will obviously kick the Talon or Hawk’s arse in BFM but so what?

As a FJ QFI I want a jet that is easy to handle, has good visibility from the back seat (for approach and landing as well not just in the upper air), has ample fuel and is reliable.

In this regard the Talon doesn’t cut it for me, the Alphajet has terrible rear seat visibility and the 346 runs out of fuel far too quickly. The Hawk is the best thing out there currently IN ITS ROLE.

I know all about the requirements for TX and how each performed. It was always going to be a two horse race between the T50 and the Boeing. Lockheed already have JSF so my money was on the Boeing all along.

As a pilot I think it looks awesome and would love to fly it and for DACT it would probably top the list but I will reserve judgment as to how it is as an instructional platform.

I doubt very much if DACT will ever be on the syllabus so like versus like who cares if it can sustain 6G at 10000’?!

Just my take on things of course.

BV