PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol Flying Not For Profit
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2018, 13:38
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Glider Steve
Thanks Jan - I guess my question is really whether anyone has experience of this 'metered' type of flying and if they agree that Bristol Flying is well priced in the market......I' don't want to sign up only to get charged £200 because we spent 30 minutes with the prop turning waiting to get up there......

Cheers
Steve
A very valid point, Steve, and very pertinent at Bristol Airport which, being an International Airport, has quite a bit of commercial traffic with strict separation requirements. This in turn means that holding will often be necessary, sometimes for longer periods. That was exactly my point in my previous post about the difference between the engine time charging, and flight time Plus 0.2.

For both our 2 flights as detailed above, we were held waiting for departure for some time, which was 'free' after the paid for 6 minutes (0.1 hour). Whereas the engine time keeps on ticking up as you hold for departure, as does the cost.

As I said, you need to ask some searching questions to have all the facts before committing to any particular club or school. Make sure that you're comparing like for like. Oh, and did I mention the importance of checking whether the advertising is misleading about which actual type you'll be paying to fly?